Pinning a window is always handy. Now, this can be anything related to work like pinning calculator window on the top while making the calculation of all our expenditures or doing your office work or even homework from school, who would know? Today you will learn how you can have an always on top Window in Windows 11 using solutions such as AutoHotKey and DeskPins.
Unfortunately, this function is not supported by windows natively but we can find many third-party applications in the market with the help of which we can enable such convenience.
How To Always Keep Windows on top in Windows 11 (2 Easy Methods)
#1 – Pining Windows on Top with DeskPins
This is a light in weight software that is open source. With this, we can pin any window to always appear on the top of the desktop with a simple click of the mouse. Nothing can be this easier.
It comes with one downfall that as it has been made by an independent developer there has been a lot of time it has not received any update however it still works great on modern windows systems.
RECOMMENDED: AutoHide your mouse cursor in Windows 11 with a shortcut.
How to use DeskPins to keep Window on top
In under a minute we can install these for windows. This is quite a fast, easy and straightforward process.
- Go to efotinis.neocities.org/deskpins.
- Scroll down to see the “downloads” section.
- Once done, hit “DeskPins v1.32” (version might vary) to get the setup file.
- As downloaded-go to the download directory and double hit “setup file” to run setup.
- From here, hit “next” to proceed.
- If you want to change the installation directory then click on the “browse option” from the window and use explorer to find it, else hit the “installation” option to commence the process.
- It shall take a few minutes on your system. Once done, you shall be notified by the setup window.
This is very simple to use. It works without any noise in the background and works its best.
Once it has been installed on your system you need to:
- Go to “start menu”.
- Click the “all apps” option there from top right side of the flyout.
- Go down, click on the “DeskPins” application in order to launch it. It gets launched minimized.
- After this, bring the windows you want on top. Once done go to the “extended system tray icon menu”, click on the “DeskPins” icon. The cursor shall transform into a pin.
- Click on the window’s title bar, a red pin shall be displayed beside the minimize option this states that the window has been pinned. As an alternate, you can hit “Ctrl + F11” from the keyboard to change the cursor to pin and then click on windows to keep it open always.
- Manually if we want we can also minimize the pinned windows without even affecting the “always on top” status which when we maximize shall be resumed.
The “AutoHotKey” is made for you if you are not sky from some little scripting and getting into stuff which is termed as “nerdy”. Today we are able to create our very own customized shortcuts with help of open-scripting language and never clicking the mouse during a work session.
ALSO CHECK: Disable Windows 11 Hibernation After Sleep.
#2 – Use AutoHotkeys Keyboard Shortcuts
This is an open-source language that scripts for free on windows which provides users with easy creation of keyboard shortcuts as well as software automation in order to automate repetitive tasks on both windows or windows apps themselves.
It carries a syntax that is designed in a way that no matter you are a newbie or a professional you shall be able to create a shortcut that is linked to an action by them suiting their exact and required needs.
As this is a scripting language you need to download it and do nothing else. It needs a script to tell it what actions to perform like it is a plain text file that has .ahk as its extension.
These can be assumed as batch or configuration files but carry more tools at their disposal. The script is used to perform a single action specified by and make an exit or it can even have a series of actions performed when a certain shortcut is pressed from the keyboard.
This is a straightforward process that can be installed by using a .exe file like any other application.
ALSO CHECK: How To Setup Wireless Pen Settings in Windows.
How to use AutoHotKeys for Window Pinning (6 small steps)
- Visit their official website.
- Hit the “download” option therefrom the center of the page, this shall expand into three tiles.
- After this, click the “download current version” tile. The process of downloading shall start in a few moments.
- Once done, go to the downloads directory and double click “exe file” in order to run the setup.
- After the setup window, you need to click “express installation tile” to install AutoHotKey. If you want to change the install directory then hit the “custom installation” tile.
- The “express installation” setup shall take a few seconds to install language on your system once this is done you shall be informed by the setup windows. Hit “exit”.
Once this language has been installed on your system then pinning the window becomes a straightforward process. Although it needs some scripting it by no means it is difficult, so you can also disable it if you wish.
- Go to “Desktop” and click right anywhere on the empty space.
- Go to “new option” and from the menu select “AutoHotKey.
- Give a name to this file and hit “enter” for confirmation.
- After this click right on the file which has been created and go to the “open with” option, after this select “notepad” from the list in order to edit the file.
- Next type or copy+paste the command “^SPACE::Winset, Alwaysontop, , A”.
- Click the “file” tab there at the right corner of the file and select the “save option”. From the keyboard, you can also press Ctrl + S shortcut the save it.
- Exit and double-click it. Now by simply pressing Ctrl + Space from the keyboard, you can also pin any window.
- You shall notice the green icon in tray icons once the script begins to run. to disable it temporarily you need to right-click it > select pause this script option.
ALSO CHECK: How To Disable the Windows Key in Fortnite.
Conclusion – Do you keep your Window always on top in Windows 11
We all love to work in our own ways in our workplace of choice. This is why you would like to know how to keep always on top in Windows 11, its actually not that hard to do with our 2 different methods that are easy as making an egg, really! You can also disable it entirely if you wish but that all depends on your needs if you want to keep the folder always on top.