Are you the kind of user who goes off and on his system all the time? Yes, then you are not the only one. Users are required to leave their workplace for different reasons like going to the bathroom, called into the boss’s office or even taking a break. Well, there is no reason to stay glued to it for too long, maybe some users do it habitually out of necessity.
Whatever the reason is, one thing is clear, when you leave the desk you may expose out any information displayed by the monitor. Many times this might not be the problem. Now, what if you reveal sensitive data? This does not take into account the general feeling of unease knowing other people might read whatever is displayed, even if the stuff is trivial.
To avoid all of this, you need to turn off the monitor or put it to sleep altogether. The screen saver shall not kick in right away. You can turn off the monitor luckily by using a variety of keyboard shortcuts.
Table of Contents
4 Ways on How To Turn Off Your Monitor in Windows 10 and Mac
Process for Mac
Such users have it easy. They can use the built-in keyboard shortcut which is Control + Shift + Eject, to turn it off without putting the system to sleep. 3rd party app is required, unlike windows.
If you want to turn off your monitor and put if to sleep all at the same time then you need to use the Option + Command + Eject combination.
Must Read: Turn Off Your Second Screen and Save Energy.
Process for Windows PC
The window does not provide a native way to turn it off without getting the system to go in sleep mode.
Though, if you want to log out of your system, making it virtually unusable before you log in back, you can easily do it by clicking on the Windows + L Key at the same time
This is the fastest way if all you care about is “I wish to leave my system immediately and don’t want anyone else to use it or see what I was doing”.
On the other side, if you want it to be off no matter what then depending on a third-party program may be the only solution.
This is a light program that makes it possible for the user to assign a specific key combination in order to perform specific actions like turning off the monitor, ejecting the optical device, or even restarting the system. Download and install the turn-off monitor software there from the official website.
- Once it is installed in your system, you should see the “turn off monitor icon” in your system tray.
- Click right on the icon and click on “turn of monitor settings”.
- Now, you can also double click on the shortcut which is there on the desktop if you have decided to make one during the process of installation.
- After this, under the “hotkey to turn off monitor” section, you need to assign a key combination. We suggest that you use a single F8 key for this.
- You need to keep in mind that you cannot use any combination which is taken already. Like Ctrl + C is preserved to copy files and thus you can’t use it. If you force it then the program shall give you an error.
- After you put in the combination, click the “save” button there at the bottom in order to apply the setting and close the window.
Give it a try, click on the key combination that you have designed for the task and the monitor should be immediately turned off.
Great Alternative: Turn Off Monitor Software by RT Download.
Use BlackTop v1.0
This is yet another application that is light in weight and shall not clutter the desktop with shortcuts. The only downside is that you need to use the shortcuts which are assigned namely Ctrl + Alt + B, to turn the monitor off, without having another option to alter the key combination.
- You need to download it first.
- Once done, extract .zip file, run .exe file to install the software.
- Follow the setup wizard, then run it.
- You require .NET Framework 3.5 in order to run the program. If you have this installed already then you are good to go. Otherwise, windows shall prompt to install this for you. As an alternate, you can also download it.
Once it has been installed, run it and you shall see the app’s icon in the system tray. Click Ctrl + Alt + B key at once to turn your monitor off instantly.
That was all for this post. We shared four working techniques that you can try and all of them are equal in terms of features and the number of shortcuts that they allow you to create for your second screens.