Windows is one of the most customizable operating systems of all times! Users can install third-party skins or visual styles without any effort to change the overall look and feel of Windows 10.
Follow through to know in detail on how you can install these either from Microsoft’s site or custom themes from sites such as DevianArt or Themepack.me.
Table of Contents
What you need to know about Themes
Now before we start the actual process it is important that you know about the different kinds which are there for Windows 10.
Microsoft provides its users with a huge selection of layouts which you can get from the App Store. Now the best part is that these have a good collection of wallpapers as well as sound effects.
Moreover, independent designers have created limitless designs and visual effects. The sky is the limit.
How To Install Microsoft Official Themes
This is fairly a simple process. You can get your favourite ones from the Microsoft Store.
- In the first step, you need to open the “Microsoft Store” and then search for them.
- You can select any one of your choices, hit the “get” button to install it.
- After this, you need to open “settings”, under the “personalize” section click on “themes”.
- Download one shall appear in the correct section automatically.
- In the first step you need to get the desired design from the site.
- Once done, you need to double click on “.themepack” file to add it to the library and apply it immediately.
- These can also be applied from the personalization menu. All you need to do is click right on the empty space on the desktop background and select “personalize”.
Here user can choose a new layout from the pane there on the left or even make their own adjustments to the one which is existing, like changing the font style, background and even the colours.
How To Install Custom Theme Packs
As version 10 only allows the easy installation of digitally signed ones from Microsoft, installing custom designs is a bit complicated process. But don’t let this put you off our methods are very easy.
Before we begin, we suggest our readers create a restore point or an image backup. Once the backup is there, you can move to the following steps.
- In the first step, you need to download and install the (UltraUXThemePatcher).
- Once done you need to restart your system. Won’t take long!
- Get a 3rd party layout from DevianArt or any site of your choice.
- After this copy and transfer this to C:/Windows/Resources/Themes.
- Then you need to open “Control Panel”, under “appearance and personalization” click on “Change”.
- You can now get it now quite easily.
Make sure that you apply the correct version which is based on the version of your OS installed on the system.
Install with UltraUXThemePatcher (Recommended)
If you are somehow feeling adventurous then you can get these as well.
- In the first step, you need to create a “backup”, using one which does not match is able to nuke your system, and there is probably the non-eligible chance of that happening. Having a restore point is always good but image backup is better.
- You need to download and install the UltraUXThemePatcher.
- You need to find them from various trusted sources like DekiSoft.
- Copy these files into C:/Windows/Resources/Themes. If it carries designs for different builds then you need to make sure you are using the right one. Find the build by clicking on “Win + R” and typing in “Winver” into the command line.
- After this, you need to select the one you want to apply there from the Control Panel’s personalization menu.
Only use trusted sources for your files
A security researcher has shown how these designs and packs can be used to steal account passwords. In this all the user does is activate the weaponized file which can be shared by email attachment or a link and then a credential prompt shall be displayed.
This depends upon two things: a user who switches around and love to experiment and that he shall be using a Microsoft account rather than a local one. Now, if you are a fan of its customization then there are chances you can share ones you have created or use one which others have.
We suggest you think twice before getting these as they are not created with security in mind.
These come in with the added risk of potential attacking or more services like email. We suggest you use two-factor authentication for services being offered.
We advise you to not get tempted by the lure of any pretty desktop. Just chose one and stick to it and avoid switching plus do not click on links on which you are not 100% sure.
That is all folks, you should have now learned how to install a custom theme on Windows 10. This includes official ones and DeviantArt collection too! My personal favourite is the gaming edition as it signifies Alienware.
Don’t forget to share your desktops in the comment section.