PlayStation 5’s controller also known as DualSense is not the easiest pad to get working on a computer system. Why bother when it is quite easy to use something new? Well, this is still special in some ways. This is where ScpToolkit PS5 free download comes in hand! It allows you to connect it to Windows 10, 8, 8.1 and 7 by installing a driver.
The other one carries something that one the best PC controllers do not have such as pressure-sensitive analogue face buttons. This makes it one of the best choices used for playing PS2 games in PCSX2 emulator. Some such as Metal Gear Solid 4 does not play right without these analogue buttons.
If you prefer the feel of Sony’s older releases over this redesigned tool then it is best for playing classic final fantasy games on steam. Follow through to know about the best way to get it working on your system by using an open-source tool known as ScpToolkit.
Before you continue: Steam carries native support for this; means the user can plug it in and set it up via the Big Picture Mode settings menu. It, however, does not support its gyro controls or analogue face buttons which are what we are after in real. Follow through to know more!
- DualSense and USB-C Cable.
- Bluetooth Dongle (optional).
Table of Contents
ScpToolkit Installation Guide for PS5 Controller
- You need to download the software, start with installing 4 Microsoft packages. If you are a windows 7 user then you need to also install Xbox 360 controller driver. This comes built-in in windows 8 and 10.
- After this plug this into your system with help of mini-USB. Now it can start working.
Note: Keep in mind that this is an important step.
If you want to use the controller wirelessly then you need to be sure to have a Bluetooth dongle that is plugged in or have your motherboard’s Bluetooth enabled. This notes that you require a Bluetooth 2.0 or higher that is able to support Enhanced Data Rate (EDR).
- Then download this and run the installer. Once you have accepted terms and select install location you shall get a menu with all options for this. We suggest that you leave it to default. Click on “Install” to begin.
Be sure to check that the ScpToolkit Bluetooth Utility option is ticked.
- This shall be installed after 30 seconds. You shall be able to see a big screen button that says Run Driver Installer. As this is a fresh install, this is what we have to do, click on the button.
- The following screen might look a bit intimidating but it is very simple. You need to check the boxes doe drivers that you want to install. In such a case, we need to be sure that Dualshock 3 driver is checked (by default it is). After this click on the arrow that is next to “Choose Dualshock 3 controllers to install” in order to see a dropdown list of USB devices that are attached to your system. You need to find its controller in the list and give it a check.
You need to be that the “install button driver” box is checked. This is the same as you did with the previous one, click on the arrow next to “choose Bluetooth dongles to install” and find it in the list. Do check it.
Note: If you are using Windows Vista then you need to check the box that says “driver installation”. Otherwise, you might leave it unchecked. Click on “install”.
- Now watch it run through the installation process. You shall see many different pop-ups on the side of the screen as it detects for hardware. Scroll down to the bottom of the log and there you should be able to hopefully see “Dualshock 3 USB driver installed” (as well as Bluetooth driver installed, if you chose to). This signifies a successful installation. If everything went well and successfully, press on “Exit”.
- Now, at is installed you shall see it as an icon in your system tray. Look up in your start menu for its settings manager. Here you have the option to change some of the settings such as disabling rumble, adjust analogue stick dead zones, and many others. In many of these settings, you shall be able to leave alone.
By default, it starts up with windows. Moreover, it also plays certain sound effects that you find obnoxious. If you want to disable them; click on the “sound settings tab” and un-check “Enable notification sounds”.
The settings tab allows users to patch the emulator’s Lilypad controller plug-in that is used to support pressure-sensitive buttons. If you plan to use this with an emulator then you need to click on “browse” to go to your PCSX2 installation folder, after click on “enable to install the patch”.
Now as it installed, this should behave like an Xbox 360 controller. Any of the game which has native Xinput support, any modern PC games which support gamepads should be able to recognize with without a hitch. This, unfortunately, means that it shall not register as a PlayStation variant to some of the games that have version 4’s support, so you shall not be able to get the correct square, cross, triangle, circle buttons by default. Now, some of the games let users choose manually the button icons. Look for this in the game settings.
If you run into some issues installing this or using the controller then trying to post in the official thread at PCSX2 forums, but you might not get an answer.
If you are not about wired business and followed all of the installation steps mentioned above then you shall be able to un-plug it simply, and after some seconds it shall be able to sync through this. The user shall also get a notification in the system tray when it does.
This works after a reboot as well. If you allow this to start with windows, then it should simply be able to plug-in again and this shall be recognized instantly. One LED is on, it shall be synced through this again.
If you have any issues with this, it could be that the dongle is not supported. User can find help in its Github discussions. It can be a bit finicky and any problem you run into can be due to the hardware or any particular version of windows or drivers.
Download ScpToolkit PS5 for DualSense Controller – Free Latest Version
ScpToolkit PS5 download is all you need to get your new DualSense controller running on PC. It gives you all the bells and whistles you need to configure to play PC games using this new hardware.