This is a parametric or graphic equalizer for your windows which is implemented as an Audio Processing Object (APO) for the system effect infrastructure that got introduced with windows vista. So if you want to play around with your sound settings and bass then download Equalizer APO 32-Bit or 64-Bit.
Table of Contents
Equalizer APO Features
- It carries a virtually unlimited number of filters.
- It is able to work on any number of channels.
- Low latency; makes it suitable for interactive applications.
- Has low CPU usage.
- Carries a modular GUI.
- Has VST plugin support.
- It integrates into Voicemeter.
How to Install Equalizer APO
- You need to download its setup for your version of windows that is 32-bit ad 64 bit. If you are not sure which one to get then you need to open the start menu > control panel > system and then look at the type of system.
- Just execute the setup program and follow the provided instructions. Keep in mind to keep in mind the installation path if you are not using the default C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO. Form this point it is assumed that you use the default path to have better readability.
- During the process of installation, program configuration.exe shall run. You need to make sure that you go for the correct audio device in order to install it. If somehow you are not sure then you need to open the start menu > control panel > select sound and see for the default output device. If you need to install this to another audio device later then you can run it again for C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\Configurator.exe.
- Once the installation is finished; allow reboot of your system. This is required as the newly installed program shall not be immediately used but only after the audio service has restarted.
- As the system gets rebooted it shall get active. This is noticeable by a very small reduction in volume and a mild low-frequency boost; this is due to what the example configuration file specifies. To change its behavior to something that is more useful you can read the next chapter.
How to Configure Equalizer APO (Step-by-step guide)
- You need to open the “windows explorer” and go to C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config. You shall be able to find files like config.txt and example. text. Former is the main file of configuration that shall be loaded by it automatically.
- After this, you need to open it in a text editor and shall be able to see that it first defines a pre-amplification value and then includes the other one. To check to see if it really is working you need to start some video or audio app and adjust the preamp value while any music is playing. You need to notice that volume changes immediately every time you save the file.
- Now, to begin creating your individual file you need to install and run “Room EQ Wizard”.
It has the following screenshot:
It carries the following basic process:
- You need to click on the “measure button” there from the toolbar (marked as A in the above picture) to bring up the measurement dialog. In here you need to first go to “Check Level” and adjust the output volume as required, after this “start measuring”. Once don, the dialog box closes automatically and a graph of the frequency response is shown.
- You need to click on the “EQ button” (marked as B) there in the toolbar. In here you can select the type of equalizer (marked as C) you can use either “generic” or if you prefer bandwidth in spite of Q, which is the FQB2496 type. Keep in mind that no other type is supported.
- You need to click on the “EQ Filters” button (marked as D) in the EQ window. You can now add in filters by setting the control to manual. Just type to PK/PEQ and adjust the Frequency, Gain, and Q/Bw Oct according to your needs.
- The graph in the EQ window shall show directly the filter’s frequency response. From version 0.8, you are able to use any of the other types of filters that is available if they suit your needs, but the peaking filters generally should be the most appropriate for room correction.
- Now to save the settings you need to first use the “save this filter set” button (marked as E) there in the EQ filter window. This shall save in the settings in a format that Room EQ Wizard is able to read back later when you require to make some further adjustment.
- After this you need to save the setting in a format that it can read. For this, you need to go to the main windows of it, from here open the “File” menu (marked as F), and click on “Export” > filter settings as text. Save all of this under a new file name into C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config.
- Then you need to open C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config\config.txt in a text editor and change the “include” line so that it refers to your newly created file. This change shall be effective immediately.
You have now created your very first configuration for this. To know more about it just look into its help file. The whole process can be automated even to some extent as explain in this forum thread.
How to Use Equalizer APO
This shall try to keep the function of the other ones that have been shipped with the sound card driver (the original one) by default. In a few cases, this created instability in audio processing. This offers troubleshooting options in order to adjust how the original ones are used.
If you are experiencing some instability during recording or playback while using this, then you can try and disable the usage of the original one here:
- You need to select your audio device, for this, you need to click on its connection name.
- Then you need to enable the troubleshooting options.
- After this un-check both the “use original APO” checkboxes.
Note: Keep in mind that you shall lose all the features that the sound card driver realized through its APO. Users can also try and un-check only one of the checkboxes to preserve some functions.
Now, some of the sound card drivers disable the options when it detects that another one has been registered. You could uncheck one of the “install APO” checkboxes if you want to install it in the pre-mix or post-mix stage. For the other stage, the original one shall be able to register; this may help to recover some of the options of the sound card reader.
If you have installed this you no changes are there in the configuration file lead to any changes in the signal, then this may have been disabled for the device in the control panel.
To check this you need to open the “start menu” > then go to the “control panel” > sound and then double click on the audio device in order to open the properties dialog.
If it carries an “enhancements” tab you need to go to it. You shall be able to see similar to the left screenshot is shown below. You need to make sure that the “disable all enhancements” check box (this is the red box) is unchecked, even if you do not use any of these in the list.
If any dialog box does not have this tab then you need to go to the “advanced” tab. You shall be able to see a view that is similar to the screenshot on the right side. You need to make sure that the “Enable audio enhancements” check box (in the color red) is checked.
Log Files and their location
When it encounters a critical problem while running it, then it writes a line into the log file C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Temp\EqualizerAAPO.log. In such a case this file may carry information that is useful. Now, under normal circumstances this file not even exists as it shall only be created when an error occurs.
To get more information, users can enable the trace messages, this means that it shall write lines which are marked with “(TRACE)” to the file even normally running. For this you need to open “regedit.exe”, then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EqualizerAPO and set the value “Enable Trace” to true.
Then when playing back or recording through a device that it is installed to, the information about initialization and configuration files shall be output to the log file. This may help like to see if these files ate interpreted as intended. Once finished, you shall set EnableTrack back to false, so that the log file does not grow unnecessarily.
Equalizer APO Minimum Requirements
- You need to have Windows Vista or later (currently on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and Windows 10 have been tested)
- The app should not bypass the system to affect infrastructure. (APIs such as ASIO or WASAPI exclusive mode can’t be used).
This is best used in conjunction with Room EQ Wizard as it is able to read its filter text format.
Download Equalizer APO 32-Bit/64-Bit Free (Latest Version)
Equalizer APO Free Download for Windows 10, 8, and 7 is now available. It is one of the best graphical equalizers for sound fanatics. It is available in both x86 and x64 variants. We also shared various on how you can use and go over its configuration capabilities.