Want your Windows 10 to look a bit black? Now, many of us want more of a mysterious look than the usual one. What we want to say is that the light theme is good but not the perfect taste for many of the users. This is good if you want to lower the strain of white light from the monitor on your eyes. If you want to do this then this page gives you the top 10 best Windows 10 Dark Themes of 2021 that are provided with free download links.
If you wish to transform it to darker look completely then you have landed at the right place. There are two ways in which this can be done.
- You can switch to the dark mode by using the faint mode option. Turn this on and get the output you want.
- You can try out third-party tools which are quite good and give you some good looking themes.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Switch Windows 10 Into Dark Mode
- 2 10 Best Windows 10 Dark Themes of 2021 (Free Download)
- 3 Which Dark Theme are you going to use?
How to Switch Windows 10 Into Dark Mode
This is the most accessible solution. All you need to do is follow the steps below and get one working like charm:
- In the first step, you need to go to “settings”, either search for this or click on the “gear icon”, located on the start menu.
- After this click on “personalization”.
- In here, loom for the option which sys colours option in the left side panel, click it.
- Go down till you see the “choose you app mode” option. Here you would have two options: Light and Dark. Click on the bubble.
This is all. You now have a very own dark-themed look. Your display should be black though the black ground image shall remain the same at most time.
Note: This option is only available for Windows 10-anniversary version.
Now, what if do not have an update yet? Don’t worry there is always another way to get things done.
Manually Enabling Dark Mode
For this you need to follow the steps below:
- In the first step you need to go to “start”, search for the Run application. Press “enter” to open it.
- In the Run Command box type “RegEdit” and press “Enter”.
- After this follow the link provided below and go to “personalize”
- Add in a new DWORD here and name it as AppUseLightTheme, set the value to zero (0).
- After this go to:
- Do the same thing here; add in the same DWORD AppUseLightTheme and the value zero (0).
- Once done, reboot your system.
- All is done.
10 Best Windows 10 Dark Themes of 2021 (Free Download)
Ades Dark Theme – Ultimate Dark Edition
This is a dark theme with a mixture of grey and some other soft colour. This comes with an easy installation process and is specially designed for those who want much of a mysterious look but do not want to overdo it.
This won’t be really unlit but shall not strain your eyes or cause any other problems. Users will get a combination of green, blue and grey in various parts of windows which gives a cool look.
This would work fine with windows 10 Build 10586 and Anniversary Update, but if you are running it on something older than this then installation may cause some problem.
For this to install you need to use UXThemePatcher, this is a small third-party tool. Moreover, you shall get an icon pack with which you can try new icons and theme together which look stunning.
Nocturnal W10 Dark Theme
This theme precisely represents if you are nocturnal and looking for a dark look instead. It is only compatible with Windows 10 therefore it cannot be used with Windows 7 or 8. It provides users with a clean dark fantastic look.
This does not come with an easy installation process. For this, you need to install four more third-party tools and theme contents otherwise it does not work.
You need to download the following:
- Win Aero.
- Classic Shell.
- You need to first install this software, follow the official guide and install it.
- It comes with a font named as Sans Semibold; get this to enjoy the full features.
DarkGrey Windows 10 Theme v2
If you are looking for something that does not require third-party application this you need to try this one out. This is quite a neat one on the list. The best part is that it comes in free. It transfers each inch into a black and grey combinational colour.
From start menu to task manager to file explorer to context menus everything turns dark.
As we said earlier it carries quite a simple method of installation.
- You need to download files and then copy them to the following location:
- After you open the folder, you shall see this on the list thus you do not need extra third-party tools for this.
Hover Dark Aero – Perfect for Night Owls
This is yet another beautiful dark theme on the list. Is provides users with quite a unique yet modern user interface. The best thing about this one is that it carries a translucent look which means that it is quite attractive.
This requires a third-party tool to work.
- Users need to download PatchUxtheme and install it.
- Then add in a folder to the following locations:
- After this, it is available in the theme settings as a new one still you need to read all the instructions carefully before installing it.
This is two in one theme for your windows 10. It provides you with both light and dark option at the same time. Depending on user preference, they can go from black to light one; both options are available there in the customization panel. This is a perfect combination of simplicity and elegance.
Try this one if you carry the following versions of Windows 10:
- Windows10 Anniversary Update 1607.
- Windows10 Creators 1703.
- Windows10 Fall Creators Update 1709.
This is yet another theme you can apply, it is quite similar to Hover Dark Aero as the developers of both are same – Cleodesktop. Both of these use the same icon pack but unlike the other, it does not carry a translucent ribbon inspite it deploys a contrasting light grey colour. The best part about this one is that it carries 6 different versions. It not only transforms colour from white to grey but changes user interface in quite a noticeable manner.
If you want to install this:
- In the first step, you need to run “PatchUxtheme”.
- Once done, move all the files in the theme download file %windir%/Resources/Themes folder.
Now if you do not want any sort of hassle then this one is designed for you. Like other themes mentioned in the list, this one does not require any third-party installer. Moreover, you do not need to edit any of the system files.
- You need to just download the file.
- After this place it in [USERNAME]AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes.
After Dark Cyan
This one is a completely black theme. It provides users with many options for customization. You need to run PatchUxtheme to install this one. It comes from the same developer who designed Nost Metro. The best thing about this one is that it comes in free with no ads at all. It is fully optimized in order to adjust with the latest update of Windows 10.
Ubuntu Dark Theme
If you are a fan of Ubuntu OS then you can get the same experience on windows 10 by using this theme. It brings in a whole Ubuntu interface to windows 10 desktop. Moreover, it carries a lot of room for customization tool.
The best thing about this one is that it comes in free and does not carry any ads. Although it is not completely black, it carries some other colours like Ubuntu too.
Penumbra 10 Dark Theme
Get this if you want a complete dark look. It uses neutral colours inspite of blending them in. It is compatible with 10586 and Build 14393. Although it offers a simple colour selection, the process of installation is not natural.
To get this you need to have some third-party tools. Install the font Open Sans to get the full experience.
If you experience any issues, please create a restore point on your system:
- In the first step, you need to download and install UXStyle Patch, use this to disable Ribbon UI.
- After this, from downloaded theme package copy visual style folder into C: \Windows\Resources\Themes
- Go to “themes”, click right on the desktop and click on Personalize > themes > setting.
- Now you shall see Penumbra W10 in available themes, choose it from there.
You now have it installed on your system.
Which Dark Theme are you going to use?
As 2020 now comes to an end. I have shared a mega list of the 10 best Windows 10 dark themes of 2021 to free download. These are handpicked, come with beautiful crisp wallpapers, icon packs and sounds too. Especially for people who are working in the night, it is great because the dark visual style reduces strain on the eyes.